A ‘how to’ book for actors who want to develop a ‘can do’ attitude to their profession in the face of rejection and intense competition.
Feeling despondent about the acting profession?
Been out of work for longer than you care to remember?
Starting to resent the injustices of the job and the success of other actors?
If so, An Attitude for Acting will inspire you to break out of the cycle of despondency and start to view yourself as a creative and autonomous individual who is valuable and employable. The book focuses on:
• Maintaining a healthy attitude
• Dealing with negative emotions
• Keeping productive and motivated
• Developing self-belief and getting the support you need
• Turning discouragement into activity and opportunity
• Coping with nerves
• Preparing for auditions
• Being included and not feeling left out
• Building a value system that includes trust, responsibility, flexibility, creativity, adaptability and courage
The book contains a series of intensely ‘hands-on’ exercises – some for practising alone, others for doing with friends or colleagues. These techniques will enable you to free yourself from potential states of inertia and hopelessness, and prevent any feelings of worthlessness becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. Instead, you will develop a self-confident, ‘can-do’ mentality that will help you shape the career you want.
Whether you’ve just completed your training and want to start your career with confidence or you’ve been acting a while and are having difficulty planning the next stage, this book will help you on your path to surviving – and thriving – as an actor.