Guidelines for Proposals
Currency Press is a specialist publisher which publishes books related to the performing
arts including plays, screenplays, professional handbooks, histories and biographies, critical
and reference works. If you would like us to consider a work for publication, please read the
information below. Please note that we generally take up to twelve weeks to respond to your
proposal and manuscripts will not be returned unless they are accompanied by a stamped, self addressed
envelope. Unfortunately we are not able to provide detailed feedback if your submission is unsuccessful.
If your play has been professionally produced in Australia, send the script along with details
of its production history and any reviews you would like to include. Plays that have not been
professionally produced will not be considered for publication except in our Current Theatre
Series which is described below.
If you are interested in further developing your play or having it professionally assessed there
are several play development organisations which can offer assistance. For more information
see at the links section of our website.
Current Theatre Series
If your play is about to be produced, it may be suitable for publication in the Current Theatre
Series which aims to encourage new dramatic writing and to make it accessible to theatregoers
and the public. The full script is published along with the information normally contained in
a theatre program. Books in the Current Theatre Series are published in partnership with the
presenting theatre company who must agree to buy a fixed number of copies to sell as programs
throughout their season. After the season, Currency sells the plays through bookshops in the
If you would like us to consider a screenplay for publication, we ask that you send it to us well ahead of the film’s release date, since we like to publish in time for the opening. We do not consider unproduced screenplays.
Performing Arts Books (General)
Currency publishes a range of books concerned with the performing arts. Explore our website to see the type of books we publish. If you think your book fits into our list, copy and paste the questions below into the feedback form at the bottom of this page, making sure to answer them ALL.
Your answers will assist us in determining our decision.
Please also send them in with a list of contents and, if you have one, a sample chapter.
1. Please describe the book as though you were writing the back-cover blurb.
2. Who are you writing this book for, who will read it? Is the style popular, general reader, academic, schoolbook?
3. What size is this market? Is it international?
4. What is the author/s experience in the area?
5. Why is there a need for this book? Are there similar books available?
6. Has the content been used or evaluated in any way that you feel supports the need for this book?
7. Please provide a list of chapter headings, if necessary accompanied by a brief description, to give a sense of the book’s contents and logic.
8. What length will the book be (please give approximate number of words)?
9. Will it require illustrations, photos and/or diagrams, a CD or other special inclusions?
10. How long will it take to complete/ Do you have all the material you need to complete it?
11. Will the book include input of another person? Do you own, or can you obtain, the copyright or publishing rights to all the material to be published?
12. What do you think would be a reasonable price for this book?
We are not currently considering new print music works.
PO Box 2287
Strawberry Hills NSW 2012
NOTE: Please include a stamped self-addressed envelope if you would like the material returned.
use our Submissions Enquiry Form below
Submissions Enquiry Form